Making gel nails in the beauty salon sometimes costs a lot of time and money. But if you have the necessary materials and know the right method, you can easily make gel nails yourself at home. How to do that, we will show you in the next lines.
Making gel nails yourself: Why are gel nails a good alternative?
Every woman wants to have a perfect manicure. The commercial nail polishes splinter but very fast. After just a couple of days, the nails need to be repainted, and if fragile, sometimes even every day! In this case, gel paints are a good alternative. They are the latest trend in the manicure world and offer a whole range of advantages:
- the gel is more durable than the commercial nail polish
- unlike acrylic nails, gel nails look more natural
- Gel nails can be easily removed with the help of acetone
- the curing time with an LED lamp is quite short (only takes a few seconds)
- The gel varnish dries up instantly and there is less chance of damaging the varnish than with a commercial nail varnish
- The shine of the gel nails lasts longer
Making gel nails yourself: How are gel nails actually made?
Gel varnishes and gel technology have significantly changed the manicure world. But how are gel nails actually made?
Preparation : Before applying the gel, the nails must be prepared as usual. The cuticles are removed, the nails are filed in the desired shape and then cleaned well. This step is very important because it gives better results.
Applying : To make gel nails, special products and an LED device (LED lamp) are required. Apply base coat, coat of paint and a topcoat sealant and then place your fingers under the LED lamp. The UV rays cure the gel – the whole process happens very fast (30-60 seconds are enough) and without heat. As a result, the gel varnish becomes very shiny and can last much longer than a standard nail varnish (in the best case, up to a few weeks).
Removal: The gel varnish is removed with acetone. How this works is shown in the following paragraphs.
Advantages : The gel varnish gives the nails more hardness, shine and looks very natural. It is very durable and can last up to a few weeks.
Making gel nails yourself: That’s how it works!
Now we’ll show you how to make and remove gel nails yourself. For this you need the following materials :
- led lamp
- cotton pads
- liquid cuticle remover (thus a gentle release of protruding cuticles is achieved)
- Cuticle pusher
- nail clippers
- nail polisher
- rubbing alcohol
- Gel varnish set
- Gel coating
- Wash your hands with warm water and dry with a cloth. The warm water softens the cuticles and makes it easier to remove.
- Brush liquid nail polish remover along the cuticle. Carefully push the cuticle back. If your cuticle is very difficult to push back, put some warm water in a bowl and dip your fingers in it for a few minutes. NB : Never cut out cuticles, as this will facilitate bacterial penetration and infection.
- Now is the time to get the nails into shape. Cut out your nails with the nail clippers and then file them carefully. You can make your nails round, oval or square. At the moment there are also the sharp nails .
- Polish your nails with the nail polisher. This gives the nails a dull appearance as it removes the shine of the nails. Make sure that this is done carefully and gently. Wash your hands again and dry them out. Now you have a clean, smooth surface where the gel can adhere more easily.
Make gel nails yourself
- Turn on the LED lamp.
- After preparing your nails for the procedure, you need to decide which hand to start with. It is not recommended to apply gel on all 10 fingers at the same time. It is better, first 4 fingers, then 4 fingers and the last to work the thumb.
- Apply a coat of Primer (pH Bond). It works as a kind of glue that facilitates the adhesion of the gel to the nail. Here it is important to know your own nail type, since different nail types need different amounts of primer. NB: The drier the nails, the less primer you have to apply.
- Prime: Apply a very thin layer of Base Coat and place your fingers in the lamp for 30 seconds.
- Apply paint: Apply a thin layer of gel varnish. If gel varnish gets on your skin, clean it with acetone. Allow the gel varnish to set in the lamp for 30 seconds. Then apply a new coat and put your fingers back in the lamp for another 30 seconds. Make sure that some gel paints are applied three times.
- Seal the paint: Apply a coat of Top Coat and, as always, place your fingers in the lamp for 30 seconds.
- Put some rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad and clean each nail well.
Remove gel varnish
If you have gel nails that are already full-grown, you must first remove the gel before applying new ones. For this you need:
- Cut each cotton pad into 4 pieces and soak in acetone (you must have a total of 10 pieces).
- File and gently polish every nail.
- Cover a nail with a piece of cotton pad and put it in the nail clip. If you are using aluminum foil, place the cotton pads directly on your nail and then wrap aluminum foil around it. You do the same with the other fingers.
- After about 15 minutes, remove the nail clips and cotton pads. The gel varnish must be softer now.
- Scrape off the gel varnish with the orange stick. If the gel varnish is not easy to scrape off, soak new pieces of cotton wool pad in acetone and repeat the procedure again.
- Apply nail oil and massage your nails with circular movements. The oil will moisturize and nourish your nails and make them shiny.
Helpful tips for perfect results
Making gel nails yourself can be a bit complicated for beginners. Here are some useful tips to help:
- Always apply the gel varnish and the base in thin, even layers. If you apply too much, bubbles may form under the UV light.
- When applying each coat, do not forget to paint the tips of the nails well.
- If you find it difficult to paint the nails perfectly, you can use toothpicks to remove the paint from the cuticle.
- Keep your fingers in the LED light for no more than 105 seconds, as this may cause skin damage.
- For professional results you always use high quality products.
- Note something in your mind: When you use gel varnish for the first time, the results will not be perfect. But with a little practice and practice, you will get better results every time.
Are you looking for a creative nail design? Here are more than 90 modern and beautiful ideas:
Great manicure in sky blue and silver
Ombre nails in purple and blue with glitter
Manicure as from the professional
Chrome nails are in vogue
Which nail design do you like best?
Gel nails in black
The nails are your business card!
Nail design in purple and chrome
Nails with marble motif
Blue nail polish in combination with stones
Make winter nails yourself